I am very excited about the Oscar’s this weekend. However despite being an avid cinema goer and lover of film, this excitement has more to do with the sartorial decisions of the A list than the films they have made. At this stage in the awards season we’re all pretty well aware of the favorites. The makers of the The Artist are likely to win every category for which they are nominated – blah blah blah. But who’s going down in the Oscars Fashion Hall of Fame? That’s what I’m asking. I was going to put together a list of the hit and misses from Oscar’s past, but then I noticed The Guardian had done it for me. And better than I am likely to do.
Cate Blanchett’s lilac and yellow number from last year is possibly my favourite dress of all time ever, however whilst I agree that Jennifer Hudson looks good in Orange the dress not only made her boobs look completly alien to the rest of her body but clashed with the red carpet unfortunately. I was however glad to see that they didn’t put down my all time favourite red carpet dresser, Tilda Swinton, who often polarizes fashion audiences with her choices. Her blue dress and jacket at the Golden Globes this year was outstanding.
Also I’m fed up of seeing poor Bjork and her swan dresss gracing every worst dressed list ever. That dress really wasn’t that bad. Obviously it was a bit wierd, but Bjork is wierd. Wierd is what she does best. Leave her and her funny little egg bag alone.
So instead of a best and worst from all time, here are my best and worst’s from last year.
1. Mila Kunis in Elie Saab – I loved this dress a lot. Clearly I had a bit of a lilac obsession last year. Maybe I will finally get to wear some this spring
2. Michelle Williams in Chanel – Pretty as a peach.
3. Cate Blanchett in Givency – THAT dress. Brilliant.
4. Amy Adams in L’Wren Scott – It looks like the night sky. What’s not to love?
5. Nicole Kidman in Dior – Is it just me or does she look like shes wearing a table runner from BHS? Liked her Golden Globe gown muchly though.
6. Scarlett Johansson in custom made D&G – I hate the dress, I hate the god-awful cocktail ring. I hate it.
7. Reese Witherspoon in Armani Privé – Why do I fancy a pint of Guiness?
8. Jennifer Hudson in Versace – My eyes! See what I mean about her boobs?
Photos stolen with thanks from Vogue.com - PA Photos.